ECONOMICS OF PRODUCTION AND MARKETING OF BETEL LEAF IN SELECTED AREAS OF BAGERHAT DISTRICT, BANGLADESH (Vol. 3, Iss. 1; pp. 28-35))
ECONOMICS OF PRODUCTION AND MARKETING OF BETEL LEAF IN SELECTED AREAS OF BAGERHAT DISTRICT, BANGLADESH
Abdullah Al Zabir1, Sufianur Rahman2*, Anika Tasnim2, Jannatul Ferdous Sonia3, Sabyasachi Chanda Antor4, Asif Mahmud4
1Department of Agricultural Statistics, Sylhet Agricultural University, Bangladesh.
2Department of Agricultural Economics and Policy, Sylhet Agricultural University, Bangladesh.
3Department of Marketing and International Business, North South University, Bangladesh.
4Faculty of Agricultural Economics and Business Studies, Sylhet Agricultural University, Bangladesh.
*Corresponding author’s Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
|A R T I C L E I N F O
Article Type: Research
Received: 15, Apr. 2019.
Accepted: 21, May. 2019.
Published: 22, May. 2019.
|A B S T R A C T
This study investigated the profitability and the existing marketing channel of betel leaf in Bagerhat district, Bangladesh. Simple random and convenient sampling technique was employed to select 130 respondents from the study areas. Data were collected using a structured questionnaire. Gross margin analysis was used to estimate the profitability of betel leaf production in the study area. Results showed that farmers received the highest profit in the 4th year (BCR 1.62). The Gross Marin (GM) was estimated Tk. 396653 per hectare with Benefit Cost Ratio (BCR) of 1.37. The betel leaf farmer in the study area received the highest return in the 4th year (BCR 1.62). Marketing margin analysis appeared that farmer’s sales price was Tk. 31.25, Tk. 210.43 and Tk. 331.56 of the small, medium and large size of betel leaf, respectively. The highest degree of value addition was estimated at Tk. 86.31 and Tk. 76.01 for large and medium-size betel leaf for the retailer. The marketing channel in the study area was simple and dominated by the intermediaries due to less opportunity shifting market.
Betel leaf, Pan, Value chain, Profitability, Bagerhat.
- Acharya, S. S. and Agarwal, N. L. (2004). Agricultural Marketing in India. Third edition. New Delhi. Oxford and IBN Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd.
- Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. (2017). Yearbook of Agricultural Statistics of Bangladesh.
- Banglapedia (2015), Pan: Available at: http://en.banglapedia.org/index.php?title=Pan1 Accessed: 18/10/18
- Fila, P., Haider, M. R., Mohiuddin, M., Zashimuddin, M. and Alam, M. K. (2006). Khasia betel-leaf cultivation technique (in Bangla), (Bangladesh Forest Research Institute, Chittagong),
- Flora, M. S., Mascie-Taylor C. G. N., Rahman, M. (2012). Betel quid chewing and its risk factors in Bangladesh adults. WHO South-East Asia J Public Health 1(2):169–181
- Guha. P. (2006). Betel Leaf: The Neglected Green Gold of India. Journal of human ecology. 19(2): 87-93
- Gupta, P. C. and Warnakulasuriya, S. (2002). Global epidemiology of areca nut usage. Indian J Hist Sci 34(1):19–32
- Hossain, M.K., Rahman, M.M., Pervez, A.K.M.K. and Uddin, A.B.M.S (2012). Constraints faced by farmers’ in Betel leaves cultivation: A case study in Rajshahi Districts, Rajshahi University Journal of Environment Science, 2: 87-95.
- Moniruzzaman, M.S. Rahman, M.A., Hossain and Alam, Q.M.(2008). Betel Leaf Production and Its Market Potential on National and International Market. Annual Research Report, Agricultural Economics Division, BARI, Joydebpur, Gazipur.
- Olukosi, J. O, Isitor, S. U., Ode, M. O. (2005). Introduction to agricultural marketing and Prices. Principles and Applications. G. U. Publication Abuja, Nigeria.
- Statistical Division, People’s Republic of Bangladesh. Dhaka
- Thomas, A. S., Taylor, D. A., Donald, J. B. (2000). Managerial introduction to marketing. Third Edition. Englewood Cliffs. Prentice-Hall.
- Varier, P. S. (1995). Indian medicinal plants a compendium of 500 species, vol 4. Orient Longman Publication, Chennai, pp 279–280
- WHO. (1998). Betel leaf and its qualitative composition. Report No. 9. Ontario: University of Gulcph. p. 36.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.